Do Entrepreneurs Need Mold Remediation Before Buying a New Commercial Property?
Lafayette Business Owners Need to Know if Mold Remediation is Necessary
Buying a new commercial property in Lafayette is an exciting time in the life of your business. Whether you are looking for a drop-shipping warehouse, a cozy cafe, or an upmarket store, purchasing a commercial property is a big commitment. Property inspections are an unavoidable part of the buying process, and it is wise to get those completed before signing any paperwork.
One area to pay attention to is whether your proposed Lafayette property needs mold remediation. You might be thinking that if a property has mold, there is no way you should consider buying it. However, the decision is not quite that straightforward, as the situation might be easy to remedy, making the building viable once more.
Why is it imperative to be aware of mold when purchasing a commercial property?
Mold is a naturally occurring fungus that grows on organic materials such as wood, paper, and cotton. The fungus thrives wherever it finds a food source, moisture, oxygen, darkness, and the correct temperature. It is essential to be aware of mold risks when buying business premises, because:
- If left unchecked, mold can damage everything from office furniture to wallpaper to wooden beams.
- Mold spores spread quickly, and if you do not do something about them, you could soon find mold in other areas of your new business.
- Patches of fungus or moldy odors do not give professional air and affect how staff and clients see your business.
- Mold can cause health effects.
What are the signs of mold?
The main signs of mold are patches of green, black, or gray fungus growing in corners or surfaces, and wet patches and watermarks on floors and walls. You might also notice a distinctive moldy odor.
Because mold thrives on moisture, there are tell-tale signs that a premise in Lafayette has a mold risk. For example, leaking door and window frames, visible leaks around sinks or faucets, soft patches in the walls (indicating moisture beneath), carpets, or textiles damp to the touch.
Does fungus mean you should not make the purchase?
We understand that fungus is a concern when buying a property. When deciding whether the mold is a reason to cancel the purchase, it is useful to consider:
- How extensive the mold damage is – if it is not very extensive, the property might still be worth buying
- Whether the source of the fungal growth is something that can be fixed to help prevent it from happening again
- How much the cost of remediation will add to the purchase price
Who do you need to call?
Should you be concerned about mold, call SERVPRO. Our team includes mold remediation technicians who will:
- Give you a professional appraisal of the situation.
- Use a range of instruments such as moisture probes, thermo-hygrometers, and thermal imaging to gather data on the volume of moisture present and the likely extent of the damage.
- Let you know how long cleaning will take, how much it will cost, and the likely outcomes.
Suppose you decide to go ahead with remediation. In that case, SERVPRO technicians will use a combination of mechanical action, HEPA filtering, wiping, and anti-microbial application to remediate the mold and leave the premises Certified SERVPRO Cleaned. We can clean furniture, carpets, drapes, walls, floors, and ceilings of the building.
Please know that we do not offer mold spore testing. However, if the property needs mold spore testing, we can liaise with a testing company on your behalf.
Will the mold come back?
Because the fungus is naturally occurring, it is impossible to guarantee that it will not return. However, you can reduce the risk of recurrence by keeping the area dry, thus starving the fungus of the moisture it needs to thrive. Dehumidifiers are relatively inexpensive and easy to run – installing a few in your business can make a big difference.
It is also essential that you deal with any water leaks as soon as they occur. The longer you wait, the possibility of mold growth increases. Never ignore signs of mold.
What about staff training?
Your staff must be aware what to do if the mold returns. Do not encourage your team to clean it themselves – this can make the problem worse. Instead, consider signing up for a SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile (ERP). The ERP includes a full facility assessment and vital details such as the chain of command and which staff should call if they notice mold growth. You can even set your SERVPRO of Lafayette as your local franchise so that we can reach you faster.
If you are concerned about mold in a potential property, call SERVPRO of Lafayette at (765) 420-0077.